Sometimes the need for delicious creamy, cheesy, garlicky pasta is REAL. You feel me? Throw a little onion, spinach and basil in there and its pasta paradise. If I your mouth is watering, you may want to add the ingredients for this Creamy Spinach Basil Ricotta Linguine to your shopping list.
This recipe was so easy to create, because who doesn’t love cheese and pasta. Just think of this as spaghetti’s lighter, fancier cousin. I have nothing against regular spaghetti, but sometimes you just need to treat yourself to something more indulgent. And this dish nothing if not indulgent- just look at that picture. ☟
I’ve never been a huge fan of ricotta. To me, it was always too fluffy. Fluffy cheese? That makes like ZERO sense. It was also too bland, which is just a slap in the face when it comes to cheese. The only reason I’m putting it in my mouth is for it’s flavor! I’m definitely an extra extra sharp cheddar kind of girl, if that helps you understand my cheese expectations.
I always thought of ricotta as puffy, gooey cream cheese, minus the flavor, that you buy in a tub. Cheese in a tub-that makes me cringe.
But something magical happened when that ricotta hit my sizzling hot pan and began to coat the sautéed garlic and onions. While it simmered with a little milk, pepper, spinach and basil- MmmmMmmmm, I swear, friends, the angels were a singing. 👼🏼
Luckily, no one else was home or I would have feared for the life of my beautiful sauce because it smelled so gooooooooood. I won’t admit to licking the spoon or anything, but… ah, heck, I LICKED THE SPOON. I licked the fork. I licked the bowl. I may as well have licked the whole darn pan because my stomach was 99% Creamy Spinach Basil Ricotta Linguine for days. And I loved it.
And it can be on your dinner table in 20 minutes- 10 minutes of prep while your pasta cooks and 10 minutes of sautéing, simmering and mixing. It’s perfect for a quick weeknight meal or make-ahead lunches.
I can’t think of a reason you shouldn’t try this delicious Creamy Spinach Basil Ricotta Linguine. 😉
Creamy Spinach Basil Ricotta Linguine
- 1/2 pound Cooked, Whole Wheat Linguine
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 3 Minced Garlic Cloves
- 1/3 cup Minced Onion
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 cup Low Sodium Vegetable or Chicken Broth
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1 cup Spinach, cut in strips
- 1/2 cup Basil Leaves, cut in strips
- Bring a large stockpot to a boil and cook the linguine according to package instructions.
- In the meantime, chop the garlic, onion, spinach, and basil.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and saute (medium/high heat) the garlic and onions for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk, ricotta, broth salt and pepper to the large skillet and reduce the heat to low. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the spinach, basil and cooked linguine. Serve.
- *** If you don't plan on eating all of this dish right away, I would suggest storing the sauce and pasta separately in the refrigerator. When you are ready to eat it again, heat the sauce and pasta separately and pour the sauce over just before serving. This helps keep the sauce from drying out.