Baby, it’s STILL COLD OUTSIDE. Yep, still. And when it’s cold outside, I’m on the lookout for plant-based soup recipes. Piping hot soup is the only way I’ll survive the rest of winter! Say what? No, I’m not being… psssh, me? Dramatic? Well, okay, maybe a little. Hopefully this Curried Lentil Tomato Soup with Coconut Milk will do the trick.
We are nearing the middle of February, which can be good or bad, cold or warm (-ish, warm-ish). I prefer warm. Who is with me? And I’ve been patiently (major finger air quotes) waiting for it to show up. A few times I glanced at the outdoor thermometer and saw a glimmer of hope, but I didn’t run to my closet and don my bathing suit or anything. I welcome 25 degrees F when its barely been above 0 for what seems like FOREVER.
If you’re one of those people who just can’t wait for winter every year, because the snow is so beautiful and the crisp air is your favorite, that’s fine. No hard feelings, I just don’t understand WHYYYYYYYY. I don’t get why people enjoy your toes being perpetually numb and your nose in danger of frostbite every single day. Maybe I need to try a winter sport. Who wants to cross-country ski or snowboard with me? On second thought, nah. I’d complain so much about being cold, you wouldn’t want to be my friend anymore.
Clearly I’m not winter’s biggest fan, but this soup. Oh, this Curried Lentil Tomato Soup with Coconut Milk. I am its biggest fan. Five stars, a trophy, gold metal, two thumbs up, a plaque of appreciation- it deserves them all. Can you tell I’ve been watching the winter Olympics? 😁
Curry is one of my favorite flavors. It’s so comforting and cozy. And thank you lentils for that hearty texture. This is not a thin, broth. It is a thick, creamy, filling soup, which is the only way I like them. So, enjoy this lovely Curried Lentil Tomato Soup with Coconut Milk.
Curried Lentil Tomato Soup with Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Medium-sized Red or Sweet Onion, diced
- 2 tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp. Yellow Curry Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp. Red Curry Paste
- 2/3 cup Uncooked Green Lentils
- 1 (13.5 oz) can Crushed Tomatoes
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 cup Chopped Spinach Leaves
- 2 1/2 cups Low Sodium Vegetable (or chicken) Broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Unsweetened, Lite, Coconut Milk
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Chop the onion, garlic, cilantro, and spinach. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat and saute onion and garlic for 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle in the curry powder and paprika. Add the curry paste and uncooked lentils. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro, pinch of salt, spinach, broth and coconut milk. RESERVE a 1/4 cup of the coconut milk for serving.
- Let the soup boil, then simmer over medium/low heat for 25-30 minutes. The key is to wait for the lentils to soften, but not turn to mush. Every stove is different, so just be sure to watch your soup and taste test often.
- Serve with the extra coconut milk swirled and cilantro leaves on top.