This One Pan, Vegetarian Taco Casserole is, hands-down, the easiest, very best, most delicious healthy meal prep recipe EVAAAAA. 👏🏼 I’m giving myself a round of applause (humbly though, very humbly, of course 😌 ).
You know when you’re crunched for time and you have to work all week and you “don’t have anything” in your refrigerator (even though its full because you just went grocery shopping– it’s like when you look at the endless row of sweaters, shirts, and jeans in your closet, yet you “nothing” to wear) and you have to work all week and you won’t even consider eating take-out for 5 days straight and…. phew…. Take a deep breath. I gotcha covered with this One Pan, Vegetarian Taco Casserole!
Now. Now. If you literally have nothing in your fridge, there’s no way you’ll be eating a heaping portion of this amazingness. Grab your car keys because you’re gonna need an onion, some bell peppers, cooked rice and beans, taco seasoning, garlic, salsa, and cheddar cheese. If you magically have these things on hand an nothing else, you are going to have a great day.
I think this One Pan, Vegetarian Taco Casserole is fantastic– in case that wasn’t already clear— because of it’s simplicity. Yes, you have to have some already cooked grains and beans on hand, and the next time you cook either of them, just make a few extra cups and throw them in the freezer. That is what I do and I can’t even express how helpful it is when you’ve been gone all day and need to put something healthy on the table.
I’m not a die-hard meal prepp-er. I’m just not. It’s never been the way I cook. I prefer to cook as I feel inspired and able. But, lately, my weeks are busier. The days feel shorter, time slips through my fingers and I want to stay ahead of the craziness. I know there are going to be days where a peanut butter sandwich, handful of carrots and an apple will have to suffice, but you know what, that is fine by me.
When I need to relax instead of cooking a whole week’s worth of meals in one day, I’ll make the healthiest choice I can and not stress myself out. When I have time, I’ll prep some food and this One Pan, Vegetarian Taco Casserole is really and truly one of my all-time favorites. It is my fallback, a recipe I know by heart.
One Pan, Vegetarian Taco Casserole
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Red, Yellow, or Orange Bell Peppers, chopped (chop them into square pieces, approximately 2” by 2” for the shortest cooking time)
- 2 cups Already Cooked Rice (whatever kind you prefer—I’ve used brown, basmati, jasmine, 3 rice blends, and even quinoa)
- 2 cups Canned or Cooked Beans ((black, pinto, garbanzo, lentils, or a mixture etc…)
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups Salsa
- 3/4 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the veggies, onion, beans, and rice together in a 13x9 baking dish.
- Add in the garlic, taco seasoning, salsa, cheese and optional nutritional yeast
- Bake until the peppers are tender and the cheese has started to brown, about 25-35 minutes.