Indian food is just incredible, right? All of the unique flavors and the ways they are combined is intriguing. Yogurt curry is one of my favorites. It is so alive with flavors and spices that you cannot help but be delighted. I have fashioned my very own take on it. This recipe is very low in salt, but don’t let that fool you. The flavors are balanced, yet lively and distinctive. Give it a try!
14 oz. extra firm tofu, cut into ½” by ½”cubes
2 TB. sunflower oil of other high heat oil
8 garlic cloves, quartered
2 cups yellow onion, coarsely chopped
4 oz. Bella mushrooms, chopped
1 cup kale, cut into thin strips/pieces
2 cups whole milk plain yogurt
2 ½ TB. yellow curry powder
2 TB. red curry paste
½ TB. onion powder
½ TB. garlic powder
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ TB. ground cumin
½ tsp. ground coriander
1-8oz can tomato sauce with no added salt
1 bunch of cilantro
sprinkle of salt
- Cut tofu and place in large skillet with 1 TB oil.
- Over medium/high heat, cook the tofu until all sides are golden brown and have toughened a bit.
- Remove tofu and set aside.
- Sauté garlic cloves, onion, mushrooms, and kale with the other 1 TB. of oil.
- Combine the yogurt in a medium bowl with all the spices, curry paste and tomato sauce.
- Place all ingredients into the skillet and heat through, about 15 minutes.
Serve over your favorite rice and top with fresh cilantro!